Position: Farm Apprentice
Type: summer job with room, board, and minimum wage
Organization: Camp Amy Molson: www.campamymolson.com
Farm Program: www.youngrootsfarm.org
Location: Montreal and Grenville-sur-la-rouge, Quebec
Contract Details: 16 weeks, 37.5 hours per week.
Rate: Minimum wage ($13.50/hr)
Start date: May 30, 2021
End date: August 30, 2021
Acting Supervisors: Farm Coordinator and Camp Director, Camp Amy Molson
Camp Amy Molson (C.A.M.) is a non-profit sleepover camp for inner-city Montreal children, aged 5 to 13 years old, located in the beautiful foothills of the Laurentians in Grenville-sur-la-Rouge, Quebec, an hour west of Montreal. Our camp is one of the most affordable in the province due to our sliding scale. Our mission is to provide children with a happy, outdoor experience where campers can build self-esteem, form positive relationships and develop healthy habits.
CAM’s Farm Program (Young Roots Farm) helps youth develop healthy relationships with nature while producing food (vegetables, eggs, mushrooms) on our small acreage mixed ecosystem farm. We use food production, youth entrepreneurship and ecological construction as the basis for engaging with a wide range of youth. We seek to integrate the unique elements of our site (forests, creeks, summer camp facilities, energy and waste of 200+ people, poultry, garden etc.) in a thoughtful and permaculture-inspired way to explore and inspire alternatives to the wasteful and exploitative economic practices that surround us.
About the farm
The Farm Apprentice:
We are seeking someone to join our team who is excited by the unique challenges and rewards of growing food and working with youth.
The Farm Team consists of the Farm Coordinator and a Farm Educator. We work closely together throughout the year and cover a lot of ground! The Farm Apprentice’s role would be to spend the spring learning to help run the farm (seeding, harvesting, bed preparation, watering schedules etc.) and then incorporate that knowledge to help run workshops with youth during summer camp season and keep the farm producing. Prior farming experience is appreciated but not required.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Working with the team to grow food and manage the farm ecosystem while maximizing ecological diversity and processes.
- Working with the Farm Coordinator to become confident in planning and executing seeding, harvesting, and food storage.
- Laborious tasks such as putting up fences, weeding, bed shaping, wheelbarrowing etc.
- Assisting in building light infrastructure (compost system,cob oven, activity structures etc)
- Updating social media pages
- Delivering engaging programming (cooking, harvesting, games, environmental lessons) to youth aged 5-17 years old
- Composting food waste from the kitchen.
- Assisting in other aspects of camp life (carnival days, evening program, keeping the peace in the dining hall).
We are seeking candidates with:
- A passion for food and working with children and youth.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and sensitivity for working with children from different backgrounds.
- Adaptability to the fluid demands of farming and working with youth.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to use social media and wordpress
- Ability to work in physically demanding conditions (rain, cold, bugs).
- Ability to deal with rustic living conditions.
- Fluency in English. Fluency in French also an asset.
- A valid Quebec drivers license is an asset but not necessary.
We encourage applicants from underrepresented or marginalized communities to apply.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org